Re: table.el 1.6.1

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: table.el 1.6.1
Date: 23 Mar 2002 18:11:37 +0100

>     I think it would be simpler to do an update whenever point moves in or
>     out of an interval -- it may be a little wasteful, but we already have
>     all the necessary information to do that in set_point_both,
>
> It is very wasteful and not much simpler.  This would update the menu
> bar due to changes in point within a function.  The right way would
> only look at point when it is time to read a command.

Considering that simply turning on column-number-mode causes
a mode-line/menu-bar/tool-bar update after every command, this
is at least an order of magnitude less wasteful than doing that.

I have c-n-m turned on all the time, and I don't actually see
any performance degredation _at all_.

> Please redo it the right way.

Sorry, but I don't see any other way, that to do this in
set_point_both.  What do you suggest I do?