Re: table.el 1.6.1

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: table.el 1.6.1
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:19:28 -0700 (MST)

    > It is very wasteful and not much simpler.  This would update the menu
    > bar due to changes in point within a function.  The right way would
    > only look at point when it is time to read a command.

    Considering that simply turning on column-number-mode causes
    a mode-line/menu-bar/tool-bar update after every command, this
    is at least an order of magnitude less wasteful than doing that.

What is the relevance of comparing it with column-number-mode?
It sounds like table.el uses column-number-mode, but that is no
reason why everything has to.

    Sorry, but I don't see any other way, that to do this in
    set_point_both.  What do you suggest I do?

Do in in read_key_sequence, before it calls redisplay.
If the property-based keymaps are different from last time,
set some flag that will cause recomputation of the menus.
That is nice and simple.