Re: irepeat.el - repeat through history data FAST

From: Kevin A. Burton
Subject: Re: irepeat.el - repeat through history data FAST
Date: 25 Mar 2002 16:55:52 -0800

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > >     I am not sure irepeat should modify the minibuffer to replace
> > >     the standard completion.
> > >
> > > That is the only clean way to do it.  That is the only way that avoids
> > > the need to redefine individual commands that use the minibuffer.
> > > That is the only way that works across the board.
> >
> > Hm, I actually thought that irepeat could be an alternative to or a
> > replacement for completing-read.  But often this does not make sense,
> > for example I have used irepeat for finding files -- but since irepeat
> > searches a list of strings for matches, the really existing files are
> > not used for completion, the file-name-history is.  In this case, how
> > would you want to augment find-file with irepeat?
>
> Have you tried ido.el available from www.cua.dk ?  It works like iswitchb.el
> for finding files.

Yes... I added a comparison section which includes ido.el

;;; Competitors
;;
;; There are already a number of alternative completion packages available for
;; Emacs:
;;
;; - ido.el - Very different than irepeat.  It uses the standard completion but
;; then adds info within the minibuffer for all completions.
;;
;; - icomplete-mode.el - Included within emacs.  Very similar to ido and uses
;; completion but doesn't color the prompt like ido.
;;
;; - iswitch-buffer.el - Handles buffer switching the same way that ido.el does.
;; This metaphor is still totally different than irepeat.el
;;
;; - iswitchb.el - Similar to irepeat.  Displays all the options in the
;; minibuffer.  This is kind of information overload in a lot of respects.  IMO
;; this is too much information that is not formated.

- --
Kevin A. Burton ( address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden )
        Jabber - address@hidden,  Web - http://relativity.yi.org/

Failure to accept hypocrisy is the sign of a weak mind.
  - me