Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:39:24 -0700

> Most text properties are supposed to be killed and yanked.  Imagine
> editing a multi-font document.

Shouldn't this be a property of the document, rather than a general
rule?

Perhaps there should be a buffer-local-variable
`copy-properties-on-kill'.  In the majority of cases, I think property
copying is the wrong thing to do.

This would also be a very trivial, isolated change.  Furthermore, you
could default the value of that variable to non-nil, if you really
want that as the default behavior.  And then, modes which DON'T want
property copying ever (like my emacs-wiki mode) could avoid it by
simply changing a local variable.

John