Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill
Date: 09 Apr 2002 18:06:28 -0400

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 08:07, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > The advantages you see are not real advantages because they are not
>     > really differences.  If you like the extent facility it makes no sense
>     > for you to dislike the extremely similar overlay facility.
>
>     Extremely similar, except for that all-important duplicable property,
>     which would solve my ibuffer problem in a clean way.
>
> Would you please be precise?

I answered this in my reply to Miles.  Basically, since text properties
would be implemented in Lisp over extents, I could use that code to
build my own text properties which are specific to a buffer.  More than
likely though I wouldn't have even to do that; I think more people would
want to use such an API, so it would already be part of Emacs.