Re: shell-quote-argument: make it behave as if on Unix?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: shell-quote-argument: make it behave as if on Unix?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:16:11 +0300

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:09:43 -0400
>
> -(defun shell-quote-argument (argument)
> -  "Quote an argument for passing as argument to an inferior shell."
> -  (if (eq system-type 'ms-dos)
> +(defun shell-quote-argument (argument &optional shell-type)
> +  "Quote an argument for passing as argument to an inferior shell.
> +SHELL-TYPE is the type of shell to which this will be passed.
> +It defaults to the value of `system-type'."
> +  (unless shell-type (setq shell-type system-type))
> +  (if (eq shell-type 'ms-dos)

This is what I had in mind, but I think `shell-type' is not a good
name for that argument, since without reading the source of the
function, I'd be tempted to use something like 'bash or 'command.com
there instead of ms-dos or windows-nt.  I think system-type or os-type
is better.  I also suggest to say in the doc string that the possible
values are those used in the system-type variable.