Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Brady Montz
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: 21 Apr 2002 10:17:13 -0700

> [re cross-references in docstrings]
>
>     Brady> Yeah, not too far off here. That is nice, but I've seen few
>     Brady> docstrings that make much use of it.
>
> Hm, I use them all the time.  My only complaint is that we only have
> mouse bindings for them.  I'd like to be able to type RET on them.
> Bonus points if C-x o TAB TAB RET Does The Right Thing.

I didn't say you didn't use them. Just that I haven't seen many doc
strings that take much advantage of them for the "see also" purpose.

Taking my running example of sort-lines, It's doc tells me about it's
config variable sort-fold-case, but I had to do a find-library sort
to look at the source to find out about sort-paragraphs, sort-pages,
sort-fields, ...

And, taking this example further, I've actually been wanting
sort-paragraphs for years but never enough or at the right time to
take the effort of looking for it. While I'm pleased with myself that
I'd finally found it, this is precisely the sort of thing I wish had
jumped out at me long ago.

--
 Brady Montz
 address@hidden