Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:55:26 +0200

   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:46:57 -0600 (MDT)

   >        > It might not be easy to find key bindings for it, though.
   >
   >     I think it is very easy. We should use F10, and invent new variable
   >     f10-should-use-tmm (this is only idea to exactly describe its
meaning...)
   >     defaulting to nil.
   >
   > What key bindings does XEmacs use for this feature?
   > Maybe we should use the same ones, if there is no disadvantage.

To say the truth, I could not find the key that pop-up the menu in
XEmacs :-( I can not download newer version of XEmacs, because I'm at home
these days (illness, slow and rather expensive Internet connection). I've
tested xemacs-21.5.5.tar.gz but I did not find it :-( Can anyone help me
with this?

   > Another menu feature that users have asked for is a way to display
   > proper-looking menus on ttys.  The idea is that they would look as
   > much like X toolkit menus as is possible on a tty.  These menus could
   > be implemented in xdisp.c by overwriting the menu contents into the
   > desired glyphs array for the frame.  (There is just one glyphs array
   > for an entire frame, on a tty.)
   >
   > These menus could be controlled by the same tty commands that you
   > are implementing in menus under X.
   >
   > This way we could replace tmm completely.

Yes, this is already in TODO. I will see what I can do with it.

   From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
   Date: 22 Apr 2002 10:27:43 +0900

   > address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:
   > > The first part of this is done (keyboard can control menu, no shortcuts
   > > yet). I will commit it in a moment. Changes are:
   >
   > I just tried it, it seems very cool.
   >
   > Now if only F10 would pop up a real menu on X instead of the tmm loser
   > menus...

;-) I have already wrote that to xlwmenu.c as FIXME:

/* FIXME: Should F10 enter to menu?  Which one?  File?  */

   From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
   Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:09:08 +0300 (IDT)

   > On 22 Apr 2002, Miles Bader wrote:
   >
   > > Now if only F10 would pop up a real menu on X instead of the tmm loser
   > > menus...
   >
   > Yes.  In fact, I find support for keyboard keys in the menus rather
   > pointless without being able to pop up the menu via the keyboard.  Why
   > would someone click the mouse to drop down a menu, then move the arm to
   > the keyboard to continue?

This is the first step.

BTW - I have some questions/issues about the current code (they are also in
xlwmenu.c file). What do you think about them?

1. This is mainly about Options menu. Do you agree with it?

/* FIXME: Space should toggle toggleable menu item but not remove the menu
   so you can toggle the next one without entering the menu again.  */

2. Some GUI programs use ESC to get rid of the whole menu, some use it to
   get rid of the last pane of sub menus. What should we do. I have chosen
   the first one, because Left can be used to get the second one. OK?

/* FIXME: Should ESC close one level of menu structure or the complete menu?  */

3. I see that many of developers think that `yes' is the correct answer to
this question ;-)

/* FIXME: Should F10 enter to menu?  Which one?  File?  */

4.  This issue is pure FIXME, I hope that Jan will do that.

/* FIXME: Grab keyboard when in menu.  */

--
Pavel Janík

Don't compare floating point numbers just for equality.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)