Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:40:21 -0400

> > From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:39:54 -0400
> > >
> > > Are we sure that Mac users (where a single CR is the EOL character)
> > > won't object this?
> >
> > Mac users don't have LFs at all
>
> Really?  Why not?  AFAIK, the LF on a Mac is like a CR on Unix--it's a
> control character that can appear in a file.

Look at the code: if there's an LF anywhere, the mac decoding fails
and reverts to unix style eol.

This is a current limitation of Emacs because it cannot distinguish
(inside an Emacs buffer) between an "LF character" and an
"eol character", so an LF char from a Mac-eol file cannot be decoded
to an LF (since it would be encoded back as a CR).  We could of course
decode them to something completely different (like CR which will
currently never be output by the decoding of a Mac-eol file), but then
people would find it rather surprising.

        Stefan