Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:19:51 -0600 (MDT)

    A file on a Mac can be auto-detected as a DOS-style file.

Just as a file on Windows or GNU can be auto-detected as a DOS-style
file.

      Since
    auto-detection only examines the first 3 lines, it could err,
    especially with files whose EOLs are inconsistent.

Whatever we do, there will be a possibility of error.

      When
    auto-detection yields DOS EOL style, your patch _will_ affect
    user-level behavior.

Of course it will affect user-level behavior.
That is the purpose.

So far you have not made an argument against this change.

    More generally, it is not clear to me why is it better to remove one
    CR before each LF, but leave the other in the buffer.  Either way, the
    display is ugly, and it's clear that something is wrong.

It is much less ugly if the file is treated as DOS-style.

      However,
    while with the current code the two CRs will clearly show the problem,
    with the change you suggest users might become confused (``why did
    Emacs display the CRs even though the mode line says "(DOS)"?'').

I don't think it is any more confusing than anything else.

I think this change should be installed.