Re: kill ring menu

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 07 May 2002 16:38:11 -0400

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 16:07, Richard Stallman wrote:

> * M-x font-lock-mode will enable and disable fontification in any
>   buffer.

This is the main goal, and I would be happy if we could achieve this.

> * font-lock-mode, when enabled, will not always use the mechanism in
>   font-lock.el.  In special buffers, it will just set a flag that
>   directs the mechanism to insert faces when constructing the text.

The disadvantage with this approach is that the user couldn't toggle
fontification on and off by typing 'M-x font-lock-mode' in a special
buffer; they would have to regenerate the buffer text (e.g. by typing
'g' in an *Occur* buffer).

This is an inconsistency that we are apparently introducing for
performance reasons.  While I don't like that, I accept your decision,
because we could quite easily later change the implementation mechanism
to support toggling fontification independently of the construction of
buffer text.  The important part is to standardize on the interface.

> This should satisfy all of us who have said anything about the
> issue.  Does it?

Besides the above issue (which is not entirely crucial), I think your
proposal is good.