Re: new awk-mode

From: SMU mails
Subject: Re: new awk-mode
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:47:43 -0500

I am sure you mean the awk-mode.el I pasted.

Before starting my work, I did not know some guy is now working on a new awk
mode. The awk-mode.el itself seems unchanged for several years.

In fact, my goal at the very beginning is for the convenience of myself. I
have used awk for quite a few years. All my awk codes are very short and,
naturally, each covers only a very limited subset of the language, which
makes it impossible for me to remember even one-third of the essential but
trivial elements of the language. So, each time I try to do something a
little different, I have to turn to the manual for help. It's really boring.
Now, all the built-in functions and variables on the menu, functioning as
brief document, provide adequate help for me to start any code I might
write. Indeed, the menu and its style seem to be not so compitable with
those of Emacs. However, I guess lots of folks like me are happy to take the
advantage of the easy accessible menu items. If there are some better way to
deal with the small set of awk elements than that I dealt with, please let
me know and I would like to change my code or just switch to yours.

I'll contact Alan Mackenzie soon.

Thanks  a lot for your information and comments.

David

P.S.,
I pasted my awk-mode.el twice onto comp.emacs. I am afraid you might have
got the first, so I am here having the newest code attached. If you have it,
sorry for bothering.