Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 08 May 2002 15:50:32 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> Miles: You objected to putting special text properties on the buffer
> text, and then fontifying on them later, correct?  Unfortunately this
> is the only way I can think of to implement fontification for special
> buffers, such that typing M-x font-lock-mode will always do the Right
> Thing.

First of all, I think you're being overly aggressive about all this --
the status quo is _not a problem_.  The mailing lists are not
overflowing with bug reports about this issue, and I have yet to hear a
single clamor.

If we decide to adopt a generalized font-lock user interface, and it
satisfies all the objections made, it really doesn't matter if some
special modes take a while to be adapted to it.  More consistency is
usually a good thing, especially when it's easy to do, but there's
really no need for immediate 100% coverage in this case.

For special modes that add currently add face properties to directly the
buffer, and which might have a hard time implementing an on-demand
`font-lock-refontify-function' (perhaps they don't maintain enough
context), why not just add a variable that tells the redisplay engine to
ignore face properties for the buffer (it should probably keep paying
attention to overlays)?  That'd make the whole thing trivial in many

Would you like fries with that?