Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:20:09 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> |> Perhaps we should make the ID-utils interface part of Emacs, and expand
> |> it to present a menu of possibilities.
>
> We already have etags, which is pretty similar.

No.  etags only records _definitions_ of functions, macros, typedefs,
etc.  It does not record where they are _used_, and it by default doesn't
record local variables.

By contrast, mkid records _all_ tokens, no matter what their usage is.
So if you want to know where is some function _called_ etags won't help,
but ID will.

I always think about ID-utils as a language-aware Grep.