Re: German tutorial fix

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: German tutorial fix
Date: 18 May 2002 11:00:08 +0900

Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden> writes:
> I think that using C-f instead of the arrow key is very advanced usage.
> It is only useful for very fast typists or people that routinely use all
> sort of keyboards and setups, so they cannot rely on arrows.

That's silly.  C-f &c are much better for _anyone_ who can touch-type,
because the (usually very long) reach for the arrow keys causes a lot of
disruption.

This has _nothing_ to do with being a `very fast typist' or not, it's
simply a much more efficient of working anytime you want to keep your
hands on the keyboard, e.g., when you're actually typing something.

I think the arrow keys are worse than the mouse for this reason, because
people generally use the mouse for `gross editing', where they
conciously _do_ switch modes, and are prepared for the disruption,
whereas cursor-movement keys are very commonly used while actually
typing, for correcting minor mistakes.

So, even if it's not as completely necessary now days to teach the
cursor-movement keys to complete novices (because they'll `get by' using
the arrow keys), banishing them to an appendix or something as `advanced
usage' would be a real disservice to users.

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?