Re: Reading directory names with read-file-name

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reading directory names with read-file-name
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:47:07 -0400

> I propose to add a sixth argument READ-DIR to read-file-name

I agree that we need some way to implement read-directory-name,
but I find those functions with never-ending lists of arguments
rather annoying and would rather not add yet-another-one.

> The completion in read-file-name-internal should (somehow)
> be aware of this and only return completions which are
> directories (i.e. having a trailing /).

The "somehow" part is rather interesting.  A seemingly trivial way
would be to use the `predicate' argument passed to completing-read
(and then to read-file-name-internal), except that that argument is
already (ab)used to pass the current-directory to use when completing.

        Stefan