Re: Emacs mode for GDB - 2 questions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs mode for GDB - 2 questions
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:05:04 -0600 (MDT)

    2) I want to format the displayed expressions more tidily. In particular
    I would like to show array slices and the header line would be a good
    place to do this e.g.

    ------------main::a [start:end:step]---------------

    Where start, end and step are in editable fields. Could emacs be given this
    feature easily ?

Precisely what feature?  If you mean editing in the header line,
that would rather hard.  I can think of two possible methods:

* Allow a buffer to be used instead of a string, in a mode line element.

* Define a kind of mode line element that refers to a part of the
current buffer.

This would make it possible to have text in the header line (or the
mode line) which is part of a buffer.  If point were in that buffer,
you would edit that text.  To have point appear in the header line
instead of in the body of a window would require additional changes
which are probably harder in detail.