Re: Emacs 21.2 display bugs: variables: cursor-type; properties: display

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2 display bugs: variables: cursor-type; properties: display, before-string, after-string, invisible, intangible
Date: 31 May 2002 09:45:27 +0100

> ;; * A display property of "" (the empty string) on any character in
> ;; the buffer causes a truly wacky event.  The buffer is effectively
> ;; partitioned into two portions, that before the first such
> ;; character, and that after...
>
> Does this still happen in the CVS version?
> Likewise for the other display property bugs.

All of the other bugs I have reported still exist in the CVS version
as of 2002-05-29 (Wednesday).  some of them actually got a bit worse.

So you don't have to find the original message, I am including the
updated bug report below.

--
Joe

;; Should be sent to (but hasn't): address@hidden, address@hidden
;; Actually sent to: address@hidden
;; Subject: Emacs 21.3 (CVS) display bugs: properties: display, before-string,
after-string, invisible, intangible

;; Emacs 21.3 (CVS) display bugs
;; affected overlay properties: display, before-string, after-string,
invisible, intangible

;; bugs reported by: Joe Wells (<URL:http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~jbw/>)

;; In GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
;;  of 2002-05-29 on lxjbw
;; Important settings:
;;   value of $LC_ALL: nil
;;   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
;;   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
;;   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
;;   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
;;   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
;;   value of $LC_TIME: nil
;;   value of $LANG: nil
;;   locale-coding-system: nil
;;   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

;; Test cases to reproduce the buggy behavior are supplied for all
;; bugs reported in this message.

;; * A display property of "" (the empty string) on any character in
;; the buffer causes a truly wacky event.  The buffer is effectively
;; partitioned into two portions, that before the first such
;; character, and that after.  Only the first portion will be
;; displayed, even when point is in the second portion.  (If
;; scroll-step is set to a number greater than 0, then sometimes the
;; second portion will be displayed when point is in it.)
;; Furthermore, subsequent display property values appear to be
;; ignored.  There are 3 test cases for this bug.

;; *** Verified 21.3
(progn
  (kill-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (insert "ABCDEFGH")
  (let ((o (make-overlay 3 4))) ;; covering the "C"
    (overlay-put o 'display ""))
  (let ((o (make-overlay 7 8))) ;; covering the "F"
    (overlay-put o 'display ""))
  (display-buffer (current-buffer)))

;; *** Verified 21.3
(progn
  (kill-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (insert "ABCDEFGH")
  (let ((o (make-overlay 3 4))) ;; covering the "C"
    (overlay-put o 'display ""))
  (let ((o (make-overlay 7 8))) ;; covering the "F"
    (overlay-put o 'display ""))
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (display-buffer (current-buffer)))

;; *** Verified 21.3
(progn
  (kill-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (insert "ABCDEFGH")
  (let ((o (make-overlay 3 4))) ;; covering the "C"
    (overlay-put o 'display ""))
  (let ((o (make-overlay 7 8))) ;; covering the "F"
    (overlay-put o 'display "Z"))
  (display-buffer (current-buffer)))

;; * The "specified spaces" form of display specification causes wacky
;; cursor problems when the space is very small.  When point is just
;; before the first character of a range having such a specification,
;; the cursor is not displayed when the buffer's window is selected.
;; It does not matter whether the cursor is the default box cursor or
;; the bar cursor.  When the buffer's window is not selected, the
;; cursor is displayed as a hollow box that extends all the way to the
;; right edge of the window.  There are various other display things
;; that go wrong in this situation, too many to list.

;; *** Verified 21.3
(progn
  (kill-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (insert "ABCD")
  (goto-char 2) ;; between A and B
  (let ((o (make-overlay 2 4))) ;; covering the "BC"
    (overlay-put o 'display '(space :width 0.01)))
  (display-buffer (current-buffer)))

;; * A string-valued display property on a range of characters causes
;; cursor problems.  If point is just before all of the characters
;; with the string-valued display property, the cursor is displayed
;; _after_ the string which is displayed instead of the characters.

;; *** Verified 21.3
(progn
  (kill-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (insert "ABC")
  (let ((o (make-overlay 2 3))) ;; covering the B
    (overlay-put o 'display "Y"))
  (goto-char 2) ;; between A and B
  (display-buffer (current-buffer))
  (what-cursor-position) ;; shows point is _before_ the B
  )

;; * A before-string property on a range of characters causes cursor
;; problems.  If point is just before all of the characters with the
;; before-string property, the cursor is displayed _after_ the string
;; which is the value of the before-string property.

;; *** Verified 21.3
(progn
  (kill-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (insert "AB")
  (let ((o (make-overlay 2 3))) ;; covering the B
    (overlay-put o 'before-string "Y"))
  (goto-char 2) ;; between A and B
  (display-buffer (current-buffer))
  (what-cursor-position) ;; shows point is _before_ the B
  )

;; * An after-string and invisible property on a range of characters
;; causes cursor problems.  If point is just before all of the
;; characters with the after-string and non-nil invisible property,
;; the cursor is displayed _after_ the string which is the value of
;; the after-string property.

;; *** Verified 21.3
(progn
  (kill-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (insert "AB")
  (let ((o (make-overlay 2 3))) ;; covering the B
    (overlay-put o 'after-string "Y")
    (overlay-put o 'invisible t))
  (goto-char 2) ;; between A and B
  (display-buffer (current-buffer))
  (what-cursor-position) ;; shows point is _before_ the B
  )

;; * previous-line fails if there is no legal spot on the previous
;; line to move to.  However, backward-char works fine.  The next-line
;; function also has trouble in the buffer created by the test case.
;; (This is a change from my previous bug report for Emacs 21.2, where
;; I did not encounter any trouble with next-line.)

;; *** Verified 21.3, next-line now also has trouble
(progn
  (kill-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  ;; The following subexpression is necessary to exhibit the bug
  ;; reliably.  Otherwise, the test case listed just above tends to
  ;; prevent the bug from appearing.
  (progn
    (delete-other-windows)
    (sit-for 0))
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (insert "A\nB\nC\nD\nE")
  (let ((o (make-overlay 3 8))) ;; covering the "B\nC\nD"
    (overlay-put o 'intangible t))
  (goto-char 8)
  (previous-line 1)
  (display-buffer (current-buffer))
  (what-cursor-position) ;; shows point has not moved from 8
  )

;; * Column numbers as used by previous-line and next-line have
;; surprising (to the naive user) effects when overlay or text
;; properties are used which cause additional characters to be
;; displayed or prevent characters in the buffer from being displayed.
;; Strictly speaking, this may not be a bug, but it is highly
;; undesirable behavior.  There should be a way to have motion to a
;; particular column based on what is displayed rather than on what is
;; in the buffer.