Re: Building emacs with and without X -- packaging question.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Building emacs with and without X -- packaging question.
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 15:04:32 -0600 (MDT)

      However this
    wouldn't be safe if the files in the with and without-x install trees
    are likely to be different in important ways (i.e. different sets of
    files, binary incompatibilities in .elc files, etc.).

I don't think this changes anything but the Emacs executable, but I
cannot be sure.  It is definitely possible in principle for a .el file
to test for the presence of X at compile time.  I think that would be
an unclean method, and I think if we find such a case we should fix
it.