Re: [usability] mouse-1 for performing actions?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: [usability] mouse-1 for performing actions?
Date: 05 Jun 2002 17:50:20 +0200

On Wed, 22 May 2002 10:44:24 +0200 address@hidden (Kai   Großjohann) wrote:

> Note that clicking mouse3 twice cuts the text.  Very nifty.  By
> default, this feature is not available when dragging mouse-1.
>
> But with mouse-sel enabled (I think that's the package), you can
> press mouse-1, drag the mouse, then _also_ click mouse-3, then
> release mouse-1, to effect a cut operation.  Even niftier :-)

I wasn't aware of mouse-sel-mode before, but trying it now I don't see
this behavior with Emacs 21.2 and 20.7 on my laptop.  Could this be
because I have three-button emulation enabled under X?  (I.e., when I
simultaneously press mouse1 and mouse3 (using an external PS/2
three-button mouse), and then release either, the region gets yanked a
la mouse2.)

Also, when mouse-sel-mode is enabled, I cannot kill the selected
region by clicking mouse3 a second time, but only by double-clicking
mouse3.  Is this intended?  What's more, when I subsequently disable
mouse-sel-mode again, I still can't kill the selected region by
clicking mouse3 a second time (though -- provided transient-mark-mode
is enabled -- I can kill it by double-clicking mouse3).  I don't know
how to restore the previous behavior (where clicking mouse3 twice
first selects and then kills the region) without killing and
restarting Emacs.  Is there something I'm missing or should I file a
bug report?  (This happens with both Emacs 21.2 and 20.7, both with my
init-file as well as with -q --no-site-file.)

--Steve Berman