Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 09 Jun 2002 12:50:01 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> Miles: would you like to change comint.el to use `font-lock-face'?  It
> should be as easy as M-% face RET font-lock-face RET.

Yup, I'll do that pronto.

[I'd also like to look into changing comint to use text-properties, now
that they should work better, but I'll do that later.]

> Stefan: is it OK if I delete the `cvs-highlight' variable, and change it
> to use `font-lock-face' (or would you like to do this?)

Comint also has several variables that control highlighting
(`comint-highlight-input' and `comint-highlight-prompt').

That seems like a general question:  should modes that are converted to
use font-lock keep any previous ad-hoc highlight-control variables for
compatibility, or just delete them?

* Deleting them probably isn't _such_ a big deal, since 99% of all
  package-external uses are just setting them (so if they disappear, it
  won't cause an error or anything, like deleting a function).

* If we _keep_ them, should the interaction with font-lock be `and' or `or'?

  Since comint traditionally defaults to highlighting on, I'll probably
  try to arrange it so that `font-lock-mode' defaults to on for comint
  as well (like Colin did for various other modes that a traditionally
  fontified by default).  In this scenario, `and' would seem to be the
  right method (that way, if someone has set those variables to nil, to
  turn off highlighting, things will still work).

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen