Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
Date: 11 Jun 2002 21:01:50 +0100

> However, in one respect it would not be better than the method we used
> a week ago: it would always use a screen line for the header line.
> If we want to save more screen space for the text, this will not do so.
> For that we would have to eliminate the header line entirely.

The use of the header line for info links is one change in Emacs 21
that has *not* attracted lots of complaints of wasted screen space.  I
think most users consider that the usefulness of having navigation
links always at the top of the info window outweighs the extra space
used.

Considering that we already have the variable Info-use-header-line to
bring back the pre-21.1 behavior for those minority of users who want
to copy the info header without learning a new command, I think the
best thing to do is to restore the previous behavior, and work towards
a longer term goal of making it possible to copy information from the
header and mode lines.

--
Jason Rumney