Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:32:06 -0600 (MDT)

        If the general point of copying is to identify the current node, we
        could keep the `Next:' &c tags in the header-line, and put _only_ the
        `File:' and `Node:' tags in the (displayed) buffer -- that way, there
        wouldn't be any redundancy, and the string that people most commonly
        might want to copy is available in the buffer for copying.

        This would also have the advantage that the first line usually
        wouldn't wrap, as it often does currently.

    Personally I think (2) is a good compromise.

That seems like a good idea to try.  Actually editing the buffer is
undesirable, though.  Perhaps It would be better to make the links
invisible and intangible.  On the other hand, then copying it would
give peculiar results -- the links would appear in the copy.

This is leading to issues that are more bigger than just Info.

    > We already have graphical navigation buttons on the tool bar.

    Thanks for the reminder!  The header line must not appear at all if the
    tool bar is enabled.

That could be a good idea in addition to the above.