Re: Emacs mode for GDB - 2 questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs mode for GDB - 2 questions
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:38:00 -0400

>     My vague thought was that since windows area already arranged in a tree,
>     that somehow non-leaf windows could be marked as the `root' of a set of
>     bound windows, and certain operations (switch-to-buffer?) would walk up
>     the tree and use such `bound roots' instead of the leaf window if it
>     found one.
>
> Would you like to try to flesh out this design?  Rather than jumping
> straight to the writing of code, try to write pseudo-code to make the
> meaning of these intermediate roots more clear.  That way we can see
> if it really is a usable solution.

It would be good to think about how such a thing could also
be used for things like ECB where they need to be able to
impose some structure on the window layout and make sure that
the user does not mess it up accidentally (i.e. there is
one main window which the user can use whichever way she wants,
and it is surrounded by several other windows (like a gdb window,
a speedbar window, ...)).

        Stefan