Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:55:09 +0000 (UTC)

   > I am confused:  how do I make a multi-hop that requires both?
   > In particular, I would like to make a two hop connection in which the
   > first hop uses `mimencode' and the second hop uses `uuencode' and
   > `uudecode'

   It not possible nor necessary to use a method that uses both.  ...
   If you hop via A and then B to C, ...the file contents go
   "directly" from C to your local machine.

Thank you!  Now I understand.

>From this I infer that this means that you can *not* use a method like
`smx' or `su' in a multi-hop connection.  Instead, you must use only a
`plain' method, such as `ssh' or `telnet'.  The `multi'/`multiu'
distinction tells the most remote machine what to use.  Am I right?

In other words, my example should look like this:

    /address@hidden|address@hidden:/home/bob/

If so, I am a little bit bothered, since it would seem easier to me

  * to provide only one kind of `multi' tag,

  * which would be optional, since a `multi' tag is no longer needed,

  * to tell users that they need only provide `plain' methods on the
    intermediary hops,

  * but let users provide methods like `smx' or `tu' if they wish,
    since they may simply be copying the types used for single hop
    connections.  (The `mimencode' or `uuencode' commands can be
    ignored for intermediary hops.)

  * and tell users that they *must* specify a `mimencode' or
    `uuencode' command for the most remote machine (unless the
    connection can automatically default or be auto-dectected).

Based on this suggestion, my file name would look like the following,
with the `smx' being read only for the SSH part and the `su' telling
Emacs that this is a uuencoding style connection:

    /address@hidden|address@hidden:/home/bob/

And I could also, equally well, write the file name like this, which
would be more `proper':

    /address@hidden|address@hidden:/home/bob/

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden