Current Tramp plans

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Current Tramp plans
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:08:38 +0200

There has been a lot of discussion regarding Tramp.  I would like to
thank all participants for their thoughtful comments.

My summary of the situation:

* The longterm goal is to unify the Tramp and Ange-FTP filenames, and
  to use a format for the filenames which is a superset of the
  Ange-FTP format.

* The Ange-FTP entries are deleted from file-name-handler-alist.

* In certain cases, Tramp forwards the file operations to Ange-FTP.
  These cases include:
  - ftp is explicitly mentioned in the filename
  - the user has said to always use ftp for certain user/host
    combinations
  Additionally, we might want to default to ftp in some cases, such
  as when the user is anonymous.

* Different people have different opinions on what the new format
  should look like.  Proposals for the non-multi case that seem to be
  still in the competition:

  Richard:
    /address@hidden@method:file
      empty strings for omitted/defaulted components, eg
        /@address@hidden:file

  Miles (?)
    /address@hidden:file
      numeric methods would be considered ports for ftp

  Kai:
    /address@hidden:file
      Because I really doubt that square brackets in the user
      name are actually needed.
      And if they are needed, people can just say something like
      /address@hidden:file
      This will use the sm method, connect to host zz, and use
      the user name "[xx]yy".
      Since square brackets are quite rare, I don't think
      it matters that people have to type a slightly longer
      filename in this case.
    /address@hidden:file
      because `#' is already used by Ange-FTP as a special character

  If there is more than one colon before the first slash, then we
  know that it must be a multi-hop method.  Hence, the colon can be
  reused as a separator between hops.

I would like to proceed in a step-by-step fashion:

* First, I want to make it so that Tramp can forward requests to
  Ange-FTP.

* Then I need to have Tramp accept the port number for the Ange-FTP
  case.

* Then comes an Ange-FTP-like filename format for the non-multi
  methods.

* Then comes a new format for the multi-hop filenames.

kai