Current Tramp plans

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Current Tramp plans
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:08:38 +0200

There has been a lot of discussion regarding Tramp.  I would like to
thank all participants for their thoughtful comments.

My summary of the situation:

* The longterm goal is to unify the Tramp and Ange-FTP filenames, and
  to use a format for the filenames which is a superset of the
  Ange-FTP format.

* The Ange-FTP entries are deleted from file-name-handler-alist.

* In certain cases, Tramp forwards the file operations to Ange-FTP.
  These cases include:
  - ftp is explicitly mentioned in the filename
  - the user has said to always use ftp for certain user/host
  Additionally, we might want to default to ftp in some cases, such
  as when the user is anonymous.

* Different people have different opinions on what the new format
  should look like.  Proposals for the non-multi case that seem to be
  still in the competition:

      empty strings for omitted/defaulted components, eg

  Miles (?)
      numeric methods would be considered ports for ftp

      Because I really doubt that square brackets in the user
      name are actually needed.
      And if they are needed, people can just say something like
      This will use the sm method, connect to host zz, and use
      the user name "[xx]yy".
      Since square brackets are quite rare, I don't think
      it matters that people have to type a slightly longer
      filename in this case.
      because `#' is already used by Ange-FTP as a special character

  If there is more than one colon before the first slash, then we
  know that it must be a multi-hop method.  Hence, the colon can be
  reused as a separator between hops.

I would like to proceed in a step-by-step fashion:

* First, I want to make it so that Tramp can forward requests to

* Then I need to have Tramp accept the port number for the Ange-FTP

* Then comes an Ange-FTP-like filename format for the non-multi

* Then comes a new format for the multi-hop filenames.