[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Current Tramp plans
Current Tramp plans
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:08:38 +0200
Gnus/5.090007 (Oort Gnus v0.07) Emacs/21.3.50 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
There has been a lot of discussion regarding Tramp. I would like to
thank all participants for their thoughtful comments.
My summary of the situation:
* The longterm goal is to unify the Tramp and Ange-FTP filenames, and
to use a format for the filenames which is a superset of the
* The Ange-FTP entries are deleted from file-name-handler-alist.
* In certain cases, Tramp forwards the file operations to Ange-FTP.
These cases include:
- ftp is explicitly mentioned in the filename
- the user has said to always use ftp for certain user/host
Additionally, we might want to default to ftp in some cases, such
as when the user is anonymous.
* Different people have different opinions on what the new format
should look like. Proposals for the non-multi case that seem to be
still in the competition:
empty strings for omitted/defaulted components, eg
numeric methods would be considered ports for ftp
Because I really doubt that square brackets in the user
name are actually needed.
And if they are needed, people can just say something like
This will use the sm method, connect to host zz, and use
the user name "[xx]yy".
Since square brackets are quite rare, I don't think
it matters that people have to type a slightly longer
filename in this case.
because `#' is already used by Ange-FTP as a special character
If there is more than one colon before the first slash, then we
know that it must be a multi-hop method. Hence, the colon can be
reused as a separator between hops.
I would like to proceed in a step-by-step fashion:
* First, I want to make it so that Tramp can forward requests to
* Then I need to have Tramp accept the port number for the Ange-FTP
* Then comes an Ange-FTP-like filename format for the non-multi
* Then comes a new format for the multi-hop filenames.
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards. (BFBS Radio)
- Current Tramp plans,
Kai Großjohann <=
- Re: Current Tramp plans, John Wiegley, 2002/06/21
- Re: Current Tramp plans, Kim F. Storm, 2002/06/21
- Re: Current Tramp plans, Richard Stallman, 2002/06/22
- Re: Current Tramp plans, Kai Großjohann, 2002/06/24
- Re: Current Tramp plans, Kai Großjohann, 2002/06/25