Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:22:26 -0500

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

<snip>
> > As for using X.Y.Z version numbers, I don't mind, but some code in
> > Emacs needs to be changed for this to work: currently, any version
> > with 3 numbers is assumed to be a pretest by emacsbug.el and maybe
> > other places.  Also, loadup.el bumps up the 3rd version number
> > automatically each time you rebuild the binary.

> > [Personally, I don't see what's the fuss about the version
> > numbering (other packages, such as Texinfo, do the same as Emacs),
> > but that's just me.]

> IMHO embedding this information in the version number is useful,
> etc/NEWS is not enough.  People expect that roughly the same amount
> and level of modifications were made to X.Y as X.Y+1, this is not
> true if CVS HEAD is released as 21.X.

You mean if CVS HEAD is released as 21.X in the current fashion.  My
suggestion perpetuates the present discontinuity for 21.4, but there's
no discontinuity after that (i.e., the same ``amount and level of
modifications'' would be made to 21.4 and 21.5).

> I don't think the suggested versioning scheme was good though, for
> the reasons you state, but another suggestion could be to release
> CVS HEAD as Emacs 22.

He gave two `reasons' for not using three element version numbers:

1. Some code in Emacs would have to be changed.

2. Texinfo does the same thing.

1 is valid, but minor (the CVS version of loadup.el already works, and
emacsbug.el only needs a one-line fix (probably a good idea anyway),
and I suspect any other place with the same problem has an equally
trivial fix).  Furthermore, Zaretskii has said 1 isn't a very big
problem.  So, I wouldn't bother with it now.

As for 2, I doubt as many people follow Texinfo as follow Emacs, or
that the Texinfo development is as important as Emacs
development---Texinfo seems to be more-or-less doing everything it
needs to.  So, I doubt as many people have noticed the versioning
scheme with Texinfo as with Emacs.  Just MNSHO, though.

Jon Cast