Re: [patch] XPM in gamegrid.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [patch] XPM in gamegrid.el
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:24:03 -0600 (MDT)

    Packages (games) that use gamegrid.el are supposed to change the
    buffer via the function `gamegrid-set-cell'. To use text properties
    instead of an overlay wouldn't take more than a simple change to this
    functions. I used an overlay mainly because I am not sure if all
    existing games refrain from using a simple `insert' or `insert-char'
    somewhere to put text into the buffer. This would not inherit the text
    property then.

I see.  Maybe we should have a way for the buffer to choose
a default face.

    To have true buffer local faces would be nice.

Buffer local *face definitions* would be rather hairy.  Do we need
them?  It could be a lot easier to have a variable whose value
specifies the name of the default face, and then you could give
that variable a buffer-local value.  Is it really useful to
give the same face name various buffer-local definitions?