Re: 64-bit lossage

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: 64-bit lossage
Date: 22 Jul 2002 17:08:05 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Just built Emacs from CVS head as of today on alpha-suse-linux, and it
> works.

Thanks.

I made a guess and found what causes the problem (segv in GC while
shrinking the gap).

You lose when USE_MMAP_FOR_BUFFERS is defined on 64-bit targets.  [For
some reason, this isn't defined on Solaris, 32- or 64-bit, which I
think means you can't reclaim the memory used by deleted buffer.]  I
assume there is some type error introduced since 21.2, which works.
Could someone have a look at that code?  I worked on the mmap stuff
originally, but I don't remember much about it, and it's all changed
since then.

I still think the special-purpose mmap-ism should die in favour of
using dlmalloc on non-GNU systems instead of the currently-provided
gmalloc.  As far as I remember, the only objection was that it might
not be as portable; I haven't seen any evidence for that, and it is
claimed to be `among the most portable' mallocs.