Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 12:53:40 -0600 (MDT)

    A Elisp variable can start its existence as a normal variable and then
    be later turned into a buffer- or frame-local variable and when such a
    change occurs, all code (possibly already compiled) must start to
    treat the variable as buffer local, right?

Right.

    When that is the case, we need to treat Elisp variable references
    differently from Scheme variable references.  In Scheme, we only look
    up the storage location of a variable once and then each reference is
    only a simple memory access.

I guess so.  But one question is, what would a reference to a "Lisp"
variable look like in Scheme?  Would you have to call a special
function to get or set the value?

Scheme variables are normally lexical.  What do people normally do in
Scheme when you want a dynamically scoped value?