Re: python mode M-q fills code

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: python mode M-q fills code
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:42:47 -0600 (MDT)

    # This is a comment.
    # This is the second line of the comment.
    class q:

    Now move point to the first line and type M-q.
    I see this result:

    # This is a comment.  This is the second line of the comment.  class
    # q:

That is indeed a bug.  Python mode does not seem to be part of Emacs.
Where did you find it?

As for Perl mode, this can be fixed by adapting the function
lisp-fill-paragraph or tcl-do-fill-paragraph to Perl syntax, and
making that the local value of fill-paragraph-function in Perl mode.
I don't know Perl; does someone who knows Perl want to work on this?

What about CPerl mode?  Does it do the job right?

    Right now the `_' character seems to have word syntax in python-mode.
    M-f and M-b don't stop at an underscore.

    I thought the standard in Emacs was that `_' ought to have "symbol
    constituent" syntax.

Yes, that's correct.