Re: an idea about managing menu-bar by Emacs itself

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: an idea about managing menu-bar by Emacs itself
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 00:12:11 -0600 (MDT)

    I've just found that tooltip is created by Emacs itself as a
    special `frame', not using any toolkit.  Then, how about
    creating menu-bar and pulldown menus also by Emacs itself?

This has some advantages, as you've stated.  It also has some
difficulties or problems:

1. It would be hard to get the fast response people want when
they slide the mouse along the menu bar.

2. We'd need to add some display features--for instance, to display a
separator line.  We want to have this feature anyway, for word
processing, but someone still needs to implement it.

3. As you said, it would be inconsistent with the appearance
of typical toolkits.  However, that would not be a strong argument
against providing this as an alternative.

So if someone wants to implement the necessary display features
and then write the code for displaying menus, it would be
interesting to see if it performs adequately.