Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: 03 Aug 2002 18:41:12 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile"
> * Sent on Sat, 03 Aug 2002 22:40:27 +0200
> * Honorable Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> Can CLISP take advantage of the non-ASCII work that has gone into
> >> GNOME?  This seems to be one major work item for a Guile port.
> >> Leveraging on the GNOME work seem to give many modern features easily
> >> (Unicode, bidi).
> >
> > I thought the idea was to embed a Lisp in Emacs to replace Emacs
> > Lisp.  So all the coding system stuff can be taken from Mule.
> >
> > And then, if desired, more and more of the C stuff can be moved to
> > the new Lisp, if the new Lisp can do that.
>
> Yes, you are right, altough I think it would be nice if Emacs could
> take advantage of the work that went into libc for low-level non-ASCII
> manipulation, and into GNOME (GTK) for high-level non-ASCII display
> (e.g., bidirectional text), instead of re-implementing it all just for
> Emacs.  It doesn't seem very re-usable.  Ideally all non-ASCII stuff
> should go into the lisp (CLISP or Guile) used, so other applications
> than Emacs can take advantage of it.  All IMHO, of course.

CLISP i18n/Unicode functionality is head & shoulders above that of any
other software I have seen.  It was done by an expert in the field -
Bruno Haible.  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#i18n> and
<http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#encoding>.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux