Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:16:59 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote (some time ago):

   The reason is, it is wrong to call comint-carriage-motion by adding it
   globally and unconditionally to the hook.  When a function should be
   called unconditionally, it should be called explicitly from the code,
   not thru a hook.

   Once this change is made, the way to fix the present problem is for
   ielm to bind a variable that tells the code not to call
   comint-carriage-motion, or tells comint-carriage-motion to do nothing.

This was written about a month ago and concerned problems caused by
comint-carriage-motion for ielm.  One thing was (and is) not
completely clear to me:

Would you like me to send  diffs for comint.el and ielm.el
implementing these changes?  I could easily do so.

Sincerely,

Luc.