Re: backward-up-list

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: backward-up-list
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 04:00:18 -0400

>     Of course if backward-up-list can work all within the string
>     (in which it currently already DTRT), it should still DTRT.
>
> I don't think so.  I think that reliably moving out of the string
> would be a more useful feature than operating on parentheses within a
> string's contents.

I very often use sexp-operations like backward-up-list inside strings
(and even across strings, although it's only by luck that it works ;-).
It's very handy when jumping around regexp groups, for example.

Maybe this usage pattern is unusual, I don't know, but I do know that
I would miss it enough to write a little function to recover the "old"
behavior rather than get used to the new behavior.

        Stefan