Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: 27 Aug 2002 11:53:09 +0900

Michael Kifer <address@hidden> writes:
> If I understand you correctly, almost everything that you have described is
> already there and is available from the menus.

Well, either you don't understand me correctly, or else the menus and
documentation (which I did read) are designed for those smarter or more
patient than I.  As far as I can see, _none_ of what I described is
available.

In particular, it appears that you _always_ need a control frame/window,
and that ediff commands _only_ work in the control frame/window (even if
I type `M-x ediff-next-difference' in one of the buffers being diffed,
it just gives me an error saying that).

> 80% of ediff's functionality can be figured out without reading the
> manual.  Did you ever try to hit the "?" mark in that small window or
> try to experiment with Menubar.Tools."Ediff Miscellanea"?
> But RTFM is always a good idea.

Of course.  It shows lots of handy commands -- but `how to find ediff
commands' wasn't what I was complaining about.

> If all the state is contained in *both* buffers (or 3 buffers), as you
> suggest, then it is a *bad* idea.  The state should be in *one*
> buffer, as it is in Ediff.  It was designed this way because it is
> important to be able to run multiple simultaneous diffing sessions
> that involve overlapping buffers or parts of buffers.

It sounds like the best thing to do is have all ediff state contained
in a lisp value, which is pointed to by whatever buffers, but
presumably this would be a big change to the code.

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?