Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: 30 Aug 2002 16:48:41 +0200

>     The F2 bindings are also available as C-x 6 bindings, so nothing
>     needs to be done, I think.
>
> Do people think we should remove the F2 bindings?  We could provide
> commands on F2 and F3 that resemble simple text editors.

IMO, we better use the function keys for things which makes using
emacs easier.

I don't know what simple editors we need to look like, or whether any of
the simple editors resembles each other.  I doubt it.

As an example, M$-Word (which I would image quite a few users are
using -- like it or not) has the following bindings

F2 runs "MoveText",
F3 runs "InsertAutoText",
F4 runs "EditRedoOrRepeat",
F5 runs "EditGoTo",
etc...

Seems completely arbitraty to me...

I don't know what bindings M-$ visual studio (or whatever it's called)
or other IDEs put on the function keys.

We already provide things like crisp-mode which binds a lot of keys in
ways which resembles other editors.  That's a reasonable approach.

But it shouldn't be the default to try to mimic other (inferior :-)
editors.