Re: color-theme.el

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: color-theme.el
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 02:05:10 +0200

> This may not be a very large job, but the first part is not
> trivial--do you want to do it?

I might want to do this; however...

> As for the feature of using multiple themes, of being able to add and
> remove themes from the list and have the right thing happen, I think I
> see an easy way to add that.  We just have to make sure that each
> theme function saves the old values of the variables that it sets, so
> that it can "turn itself off" later on.

If you want the feature, then we should test and use the cus-theme.el
I sent to Dave Love some time ago.

My argument was that we did not need the feature, therefore why bother
with the code.  If you want the feature, however, then there is no use
in reinventing it.  We might as well use the existing code.

As to color-theme.el, I therefore propose not to add it until
cus-theme.el is working.  Then we can use color-theme.el as the first
major test for the cus-theme.el code.

>     Your scheme won't integrate cleanly with customize (the option will be
>     marked "rogue", i.e. "option is changed outside customize"), which is
>     my major emotional problem with it.
>
> Would it be difficult to create a new status value, "set by a theme"?
> theme-setq could mark the variable with this status.

I think cus-theme.el does this, but I am not sure anymore.  I
currently do not have the code.  I wiped my disk at Easter by accident
and lost a lot of stuff.  And I did not do backups.  So I'd have to
ask Dave Love for a copy, or find an archive of the custom mailing
list.  I will mail Dave to see wether he still has it.

> Meanwhile, would anyone be willing to step forward to integrate
> cus-theme.el into Emacs?

The first step would be to install the code locally and play with it.
The work has already been done.

Alex.