Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:59:24 +0000 (UTC)

   However, making the variables active in customize leads to people
   thinking that they are in lisp too.

This confuses me.  It suggests that the customize variables are not
part of lisp.  Has something changed while I was not looking?

In my past experience, customize was a front end (a `GUI') that
created lisp expressions for my .emacs file.  Customize was a part of
lisp.  It created lisp expressions that look like this (except that
customize never did such a good pretty printing job, which is a bug in
customize):

    (custom-set-faces
     ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
     '(Info-title-1-face
       ((t (:background "darkblue" :foreground "white" :overline nil
                        :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal
                        :height 193 :width normal))))
     '(Info-title-2-face
       ((t (:background "darkblue" :foreground "white"
                        :underline nil :weight bold
                        :height 193 :family "misc-fixed"))))

    (custom-set-variables
     ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
     '(Info-fontify t)
     '(Info-fontify-maximum-menu-size 50000)
     '(Man-notify-method (quote bully))
     '(ange-ftp-default-user "address@hidden")
     '(baud-rate 38400)
     '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-galeon) t)

Sometimes, I edit these expressions, since it is often easier to
figure things out in them than in the various `Customize' interfaces.

As you saying that sometime recently, Emacs introduced a construction
so that these expressions no longer go into my .emacs file (or into
another file that is loaded from .emacs)?  If so, where are they?  How do
I hand edit them?

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com