Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:49:05 -0400

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 07:14:11PM -0500, Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> I agree with this too.  I believe that the vast majority of users are
> perfectly happy with the current situation.  They should not be
> inconvenienced.  However, a maybe non-negligible minority of users
> seems to perceive a need for more than one local abbrev table per
> buffer.

Perhaps that's true; it certainly makes things simpler!

> One solution would be to implement the possibility of more than one
> local abbrev table as a customization feature for sophisticated
> users.
[complicated description omitted]

I agree; to me this seems like a good enough way to solve the problem.

However, is all the mechanism you suggested necessary?
Can't users just create their own local abbrev table in the mode hook (which
define-derived-mode will make sure the command supports!)?

If it's simple to do that, then we really needn't do anything at all...

P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.