Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: 10 Sep 2002 14:17:37 +0200

       I would like to change that so if an error occurs while defining a
       macro, emacs will query the user whether he wants to continue adding
       to the macro, end and save it, or discard it.   WDYT?

   The question would be very annoying.  I think it should terminate and
   define the macro.  If the user wants to ignore that definition, he
   can.  If the user wants to add to it, he can do that too.

That is only part of the problem.  It often occurs to me that, while I'm
defining a long macro, I make a mistake in the middle of it.

The current behaviour is discarding the work done so far, so I have to
restart from the beginning.

The behaviour Richard proposes is to stop recording the macro (without
discarding it), so I'd have to restart with a series of undos, in order
to get rid of the modifications I did with the interrupted macro
definition, then restart with C-uC-x(, which reexecutes the macro
defined so far and then allows me to continue defining it.  Also, this
requires some thinking, because after doing the undo and the redo I must
be careful to remember where exactly I had made a mistake.

Generally speaking, the possible choices one would want are:
- aborting the definition (the current behaviour)
- ending the definition with or without the last command
- continuing the definition with or without the last command

As Miles says, however, only one question is needed:
 Error occured; ignore last command? (y or n)
without interrupting the recording of the macro.

This would leave the user the whole range of choices: they can abort
with C-g, they can continue, they can end with C-x), and they can choose
whether they want the last command included.