Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:56:59 -0400

> Hi.  Not a bug report, just a question:  When running cvs-examine or
> cvs-mode-revert-buffer, I get always these "new-dirs" which are marked
> "Need-Update", but apparently are obsolete.  I can't update them.  Any
> idea what is going on?

Yes, `cvs -n update' will list these as "new directory" as if `cvs update'
would bring them in.  Problem is, `cvs update' would not bring them in
if you use the `-P' option (which is generally recommended).

In other words, the problem is that `cvs -n update' ignores the `-P'
option.  It's difficult for PCL-CVS to fix it, and I couldn't
find a trivial fix in CVS itself either (although that doesn't say
much because I'm very non-familiar with the code).

One solution is to not use the `-P' option, of course.

        Stefan

PS: In earlier versions of PCL-CVS those messages were not turned into
    `Need-Update' but into mere informational messages.  Such messages
    are less annoying in your case, but `Need-Update' is the right
    thing to do in the case of a true new directory.
    The only solution I can think of is to make it a user-option,
    which is rather a cop-out.