Re: A few questions about occur-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A few questions about occur-mode
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:39:38 -0400

    1.- Would anyone object to making some occur functions (namely
    `occur-mode-goto-occurrence', `occur-mode-display-occurrence' and
    `occur-mode-goto-occurrence-other-window') to accept an optional
    argument and do a (recenter arg) after moving the point? My main use of
    occur is:

These functions are part of a series that exist in many different
parts of Emacs (including Dired, for instance).  So the decision
of whether to change them in this way calls for more thought.

For now, please don't.

    4.- IMO it'd be nice to have bindings in occur-mode to do C-n C-o and
    C-p C-o (I'd put them in M-n, M-p instead of occur-{next|prev}, but
    C-M-n and C-M-p would do fine too). Useful, or something to be relegated
    to my .emacs? :-)

If we do this, we should do it in all of those modes.  This too calls for
more though and study.

    2.- Why are the functions called occur-mode-* instead of simply occur-*?

No particular reason.

    3.- Do `occur-next' and `occur-prev' do something, or are they remnants
    of some long-deleted code, a half-implemented idea, or what? AFAICS, the
    'occur-point property is only referenced in `occur-next', `occur-prev'
    and `sh-mark-line' (in progmodes/sh-script.el).

I don't remember anything about that.