Re: Emacs server without emacsserver.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs server without emacsserver.
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:30:59 -0400

>     I don't know whether :family 'local is supported on all systems where
>     emacsserver.c works -- if AF_UNIX is the only type of socket used by
>     emacsserver.c,
>
> I just remembered--on some systems, where HAVE_SOCKETS is not defind,
> emacsserver.c uses SYSVIPC.  I don't think process.c supports them at all.

Indeed.

> The question is, I guess, whether those systems are all dead and gone.
> It could be so.

Looking through the various config files, I see the following that
set HAVE_SYSIPC but that don't set HAVE_SOCKETS:

        m/7300.h m/ibmrs6000.h m/ns16000.h s/usg5-3.h s/xenix.h

m/7300.h: last changed in 95.
m/ibmrs600.h: has USUAL-OPSYS="aix3-1" and s/aix-3-1.h defines HAVE_SOCKETS.
m/ns16000.h: last changed in 94.
s/usg5-3.h: looks like the last real change was in 93.
s/xenix.h: seems to only have had cosmetic changes since rev 1.1 in 91.

When I say "last changed in 95" I don't count changes that seem to
have been global (moving stuff from [sm]/*.h to autoconf and things
like that).

I think it's safe to ignore those ancient systems,
any disagreement ?

        Stefan