Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: 04 Oct 2002 23:22:40 +0100

>     > Would you please explain why we can't get rid of those charsets even
>     > after we have unified them into Unicode?
>
>     Because people want to use them.
>
> You are being very terse.  It is conceivable that you have a valid point,
> but your words don't present it clearly and therefore I am not convinced.

I don't see what more I can say.  What other reason is there for
adding charsets than users want or need them?  I can't remember what
charsets these were to justify each one; why do you want to get rid of
them anyhow?

I don't know why I should have to convince you anyway.  These were
probably not even ones I added.  I have added some that are of limited
interest, such as EBCDICs, but there's a point -- in the case of
EBCDIC, as an example that doesn't work properly in Mule 5.

If you don't trust me to know roughly what I'm doing, please find
someone else to do the Mule donkey work.  If you object to the whole
design, then I don't see what's basically wrong with it, and it's too
late to change it now.  It even achieves things I didn't think would
be feasible.