Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:03:56 -0700

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:20:15PM -0400, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> > So what I see may be a very widespread situation.  Emacs can easily
> > detect that the font *is not* a iso8859-5 font (since iso8859-5 has
> > very few characters, and cp1251 has many).  At least it could have
> > given a warning...
>
> It could also look at the CHARSET_REGISTRY and CHARSET_ENCODING property
> of the font (rather than assuming it's the same as in the fontname) ?

Good idea.

> BTW, I agree that the fontset management could be made simpler (I think
> it's not just a question of the doc being dense or incomplete).

Given that I cannot deduce what fontsets (all these -0, -1 etc) are
*doing*, it is hard to deduce where what they are doing can be made
simpler.  ;-)

Thanks for your help,
Ilya

P.S.  Apparently, the configuration of the site cannot be changed
      (given that Netscape can break).  Thus without a clean fix which
      can be put in the site-file Cyrillic is not going to be usable in
      Emacs...