Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:29:12 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>"
<monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:
>>  It looks like pointing-fingers was not dead-on-the-target; while Emacs
>>  is faulty, the principal blame should go to xrus-1251 and (allegedly)
>>  Netscape.  An excerpt from
>>    http://www.siber.org/sib/russify/x-windows/#win-fonts
>>     Yes, now you can have CP-1251 fonts on your X Window system.
>>     We had to put them under the iso8859-5 because buggy Netscape would
>>     not allow these fonts to work under official CP-1251 name.
>>  So what I see may be a very widespread situation.  Emacs can easily
>>  detect that the font *is not* a iso8859-5 font (since iso8859-5 has
>>  very few characters, and cp1251 has many).  At least it could have
>>  given a warning...

As I didn't receive the original masage from Ilya, this is
my guess.

The current problem is:

(1) Now people install CP-1252 fonts and give alias names
    "*-iso8859-5".
(2) Emacs finds such a font for displaying
    cyrillic-iso8859-5 chars.

Correct?

Then, if such a font can be distinguished from correct
iso8859-5 fonts (perhaps, by family or foundary fields), the
easiest solution is to ignore such a font by setting the
variable `face-ignored-fonts' properly.

> It could also look at the CHARSET_REGISTRY and CHARSET_ENCODING property
> of the font (rather than assuming it's the same as in the fontname) ?

To get those properties, we must call XListFontsWithInfo
which, I think, is very slow compared with XListFonts.
Perhaps, we must introduce a variable, for instance,
`unreliable-font-registry-encoding-name-list, use
XListFontsWithInfo only to find a font whose
registry-encoding matches with this variable.

> BTW, I agree that the fontset management could be made simpler (I think
> it's not just a question of the doc being dense or incomplete).
> Especially in your case, there should be some way to say something like:

>    (fontset-prefer-font 'cyrillic-iso8859-5 "-etl-fixed-*-iso8859-5")

Is that intention different from this?

(dolist (fontset (fontest-list))
  (set-fontset-font fontset 'cyrillic-iso8859-5
                    '("etl-fixed" . "iso8859-5")))

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden