Re: Rmail changes for Emacs 22

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rmail changes for Emacs 22
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:09:02 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     How will the mbox file encoding be treated?
>
> I don't know, and that is a good question.  I did not work on that
> aspect of Rmail before, and I am not sure what to do about it now.
> We might want to save these files normally in emacs-mule encoding,
> or maybe we would want to decode each message individually when
> displaying it.  address@hidden is the person doing it.

If this aspect wasn't discussed before, it's probably a good idea to
discuss that now.

Personally, I think emacs-mule is not a good idea in this case, since
mbox is not Emacs-private format, so some other software should be able
to read it.  A good alternative would be to encode each message as what
the charset= header says (and add/fix such a header if there is none, or
if the one that's there lies).