Re: select-window and select-frame

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: select-window and select-frame
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 16:14:13 -0400

    I think this change of behavior in select-window is bad and should
    be reverted.  It is incompatible and does break existing code.

The solution I implemented seems to be bad, but it is not clear what a
good solution is.

The original problem is that

  (save-selected-window
    (select-window ...)
    ..)

can permanently alter the frame-selected-window of a frame.  I tried
solving it by making select-window not alter the frame-selected-window
of a frame that isn't selected.  If we don't solve it that way, we need
to solve it some other way, but what?

One idea is that save-selected-window could also save and restore the
frame-selected-window of every frame.  Another idea is to have two
different kinds of window-selection, one temporary and one "for real".
Both of these changes would have major ramifications, and so does the
solution I implemented.  It is not clear what to do.