Re: address@hidden: rcs2log]

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: address@hidden: rcs2log]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:59:39 -0000

From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 7:50 PM

> > From: "Dr Francis J. Wright" <address@hidden>
> > Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:06:27 -0000
> >
> > One is Eli's suggestion, namely a more sophisticated replacement for my
> > rcs2log.bat file that deduces the correct search path to use for sort.
> > Clearly this should not use any non-standard Windows technology other
than
> > what is necessary anyway to run rcs2log.
>
> None is needed.  You can iterate thru PATH with a FOR builtin, for
> example.

I think that's probably overkill.  Here is a simpler approach that seems to
work well for me.  It requires only that a suitable sh program is found in
the search path used within Emacs.  If the environment variable VC_SORT_PATH
is set to a search path appropriate to the sh program then it is prepended
to PATH; otherwise /bin is prepended to PATH.  In a reasonably recent
default Cygwin installation, sort is in /bin (and Cygwin knows where its own
root directory is within the Windows file system).  Hence I think this
should work correctly by default for most users of Cygwin and probably any
other sensible UNIX-like environment.  If it doesn't then the user can
specify an appropriate search path by setting VC_SORT_PATH.  This could in
fact be used to specify the location of any of the programs run by rcs2log,
although I think only sort clashes with the name of a standard Windows
program and on my system they are all in /bin.  (In fact, they appear to be
in /usr/bin, but /bin is mounted on /usr/bin by default and the files are
physically in /bin.)

Francis